Collaborative Possibilities

Welcome to Collaborative Possibilities. This weblog is intended to be an informational resource for mental health consumers, students of the mental health field, and mental health professionals.

Name:
Location: Albuqueerque, New Mexico, United States

I am a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in New Mexico. I explore counseling ideas and politics as Social Constructions.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Sociopolitical Activism or Conversational Partnership?

I know that Narrative and Collaborative Therapists share a lot in common as mentioned in my blog date September 20, 2004. I think that the following statement has put me into a situation in which the client may get oppressed.

Here is the paragraph that I am struggling with from the article http://foucault.info/weblog/000045.html:

"One of the critiques targeted at collaborative therapists is that while they state that they have no particular commitment to a therapeutic direction or intentional agenda, their practice in fact is both deliberate and purposeful. To the extent that collaborative therapists position themselves in a social constructionist epistemology and are dedicated to facilitating the production of multiple voices, they are inevitably motivated to follow one direction more than another in the therapeutic process. From some narrative therapists' points of view, the conversational partner is neither unintentional nor without purpose. Narrative therapists as social activists are also concerned by collaborative therapists' disinterest in acknowledging the sociopolitical discourses that impact and may systematically oppress individuals. Some are concerned that this disinterest invites the potential for therapists to collude with oppressive cultural practices. That is, at best, it restricts the therapist's option to assist the client, and at worst, it adds to the client's oppression. Collaborative therapists respond that, on the contrary, narrative therapists' directive approach and the sociopolitical stance that underpins it may inadvertently push clients toward "alternative stories" that clients feel compelled to agree with, thus potentially producing another form of oppression (C. Smith, personal communication, January 30, 2002). Perhaps these distinctions can provide a note of caution to those narrative therapists who become too pushy pursuing a storyline that is deemed "preferred," while at the same time notifying collaborative therapists to be sensitive to not collude with culturally oppressive practices."

Now that I am cautioned, I am wondering what the area of gray may look like. The dilemma for me is that I may be guilty of taking political activism in the room and at other times I am guilty of remaining a silent while letting the oppression occur.

In response to my thoughts, a colleague wrote:
"I think the scariest thing about what the article says about 'overcoming oppression' was not the call to arms for the soldiers fighting oppression, but the way it critiqued Collaborative Therapy, almost as if were evil for creating a form of therapy that honored the client's own quest to find his own path."

I feel best, as a therapist, about not developing a fight against oppression in which my voice could drown out the client's voice or path. I take an activist stance as a therapist by joining professional organizations but I do not think that it is very honorable to do such in therapy sessions with clients. I may express my thoughts but I would disengage if it does not fit in with the direction that the client wants to take the session.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're right on track and not many people are willing to admit that they share your views. episode lost is an AWESOME place to discuss LOST.

October 28, 2005 at 7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Brian Milliken (I hope that is the right name):

Hi my name is hoe bing and I have been on a research mission to crack the problem that is .

You see ADHD is my passion and I have been pursuing it in the most holistic way possible. In fact that is exactly what brought me to your blog. Last week I spent 10 hours during the weekend trying to sort out the wheat from the chaff when it came to ADHD websites but no luck there. Most of the websites were of a commercial nature, no one was really interested in providing a full picture and I was getting disheartened.

By chance though I stumbled upon a few personal blogs, like Charles Blanc who is the adhd adtivist. Charles blog was personal and informative and he was exceptionally kind (responded to my post within a few hours and we have been working together to get the word out since).

Brian Milliken, my intention is really simple, basically my subscribers are looking for quality information and so far it is personal blogs like yours that have yielded the best unbiased information. I would like to request your help.

Because of the great response from other blog owners I have decided to create my own blog called the adhdpodcaster. If you have some time please take the time to post information that you would find useful to my subscribers.

Please don't limit yourself, just like the great job you have done at your blog put whatever information you have come across. The different areas that I am working hard to get more information on is the involvement of sleep and adhd, nutrition, relationships, cognitive behaviour therapy, subliminals and also learning tools.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you for your blog, it makes great reading and keep up the good work.

Have a great day.

Warmest regards,
Hoe Bing

October 31, 2005 at 10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brian Milliken,

Love the fun blog, came across it while having a break. Ta.

October 31, 2005 at 4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Brian Milliken,

Thank you for your informative blog, it is good to see that people are still sharing their knowledge and experience.

I am currently working on finding the latest information on kid with adhd when I came across your site. My passion is in the area of kid with adhd and after finding your blog, I believe we have a real synergy and that my subsrcibers would benefit from your perspective on the topic.

I would very much appreciate it if you would take the time to have a look at my adhdpodcaster blog. If you think that we do have a common goal (which I think we do), then please feel free to post any relevant information to the blog.

Whatever area that ties into adhd would be fine, even if it is with relation to personal development (especially time management), you know how notoriously hard it is to keep track of time especially for us :)

Anyways, really looking forward to your post.

Thank you for the blog, keep up the good work

Warmest regards,
Hoe Bing

November 4, 2005 at 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brian Milliken,

I've seen this post before but important things are always worth reminding. After all, repetition is the mother of learning.

November 4, 2005 at 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brian Milliken,

Love the fun blog, came across it while having a break. Ta.

November 5, 2005 at 7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a anxiety overcoming site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

November 7, 2005 at 11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Brian Milliken,

Thank you for your informative blog, it is good to see that people are still sharing their knowledge and experience.

I am currently working on finding the latest information on teenager with adhd when I came across your site. My passion is in the area of teenager with adhd and after finding your blog, I believe we have a real synergy and that my subsrcibers would benefit from your perspective on the topic.

I would very much appreciate it if you would take the time to have a look at my adhdpodcaster blog. If you think that we do have a common goal (which I think we do), then please feel free to post any relevant information to the blog.

Whatever area that ties into adhd would be fine, even if it is with relation to personal development (especially time management), you know how notoriously hard it is to keep track of time especially for us :)

Anyways, really looking forward to your post.

Thank you for the blog, keep up the good work

Warmest regards,
Hoe Bing

November 8, 2005 at 4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brian Milliken,

Awesome post!

November 10, 2005 at 10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brian Milliken,

Thank you very much for Sociopolitical Activism or Conversational Partnership?, it was an informative post, very useful.

I'm currently researching information for teenager with adhd, would that be a topic that you are familiar with?

If you could help point me to the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Warmest regards,
Hoe Bing

November 18, 2005 at 5:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brian Milliken,

Love the fun blog, came across it while having a break. Ta.

November 20, 2005 at 2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brian Milliken,

I've seen this post before but important things are always worth reminding. After all, repetition is the mother of learning.

November 21, 2005 at 11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Brian Milliken,

After reading your blog "Sociopolitical Activism or Conversational Partnership?", I believe you will find the wages information on my site about Jobs With Best Wages to be very helpful.

To give you an idea of our wide range, some of the recent searches that found our site included ...

Pharmacy Technicians Wages
Physical Therapists Wages
Physician Assistants Wages
Physicians Wages
Surgeons Wages
Podiatrists Wages
Prosthodontists Wages
Psychiatric Technicians Wages.

We have hundreds of "must read" articles on wages and careers and many other topics in our Top Career Wages site.

Kind Regards
Emily

November 25, 2005 at 8:05 PM  
Blogger Testing snippet said...

Hi Brian,
I would love to repost some of your writing on mine, RushPRnews Daily Gazette and maybe even on my Newsroom at RushPRnews, press release services and distribution. Write me and let me know if you would not mind me doing this. Or submit directly.
Cordially
Anne

December 20, 2005 at 5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

baby girl

March 7, 2007 at 10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lower class brat

March 7, 2007 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger rtcote said...

Hi Brian, it has been a long time.

My understanding of social construction reflects that neutrality is impossible--we are always in the room and what we focus on and what we ignore has ramifications. And since neutrality is impossible what do we want to stand for?

Your description (which would be close to my stance) is that "you would express your thoughts but disengage if it is not the direction the client wants to take in the session".

I was surprised when I was working that most people in the field thought they could aspire to neutrality. I remember once when the agency asked for a written poll be given to the client before we saw them. I asked that this might or might not be a good idea but do you think for a minute this is neutral and doesn't have an effect. The management was dumbfounded and said of course it was neutral. The idea that we can have an action and that it is possible that it doesn't mean anything is very widespread.

October 11, 2009 at 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://aluejxfttk.com]vuwDSgbFqvvD[/url] , AEktDyNAzzfx , http://pyfnknfrtw.com

February 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home